He watches over each of His sparrows. And He watches over me.



Saturday, July 14, 2012

Towards The Light

How about this picture...........


Isn't it beautiful........

     Knowing my affinity towards butterflies my facebook friends frequently send me ones they find. A dear one sent me this one today.

     I have always loved butterflies and during this last year they have become more meaningful to me as a representation of hope and new beginnings and promise. A butterfly must endure the cocoon to become what it is meant to be. What it once was must undergo a transformation and re-doing - sometimes a long process. I have read that there are some who stay in the cocoon for an entire season until the weather is suitable for them to emerge.

    If their cocoon is anything like the "cocoon of grief" then it is a dark lonely place. It is quiet, oh so very quiet. It is confusing and unsettling and it seems endless. Yet they endure for they know instinctively that to be what they were meant to be the process is necessary.

     We all must endure "cocoons" of various kinds during our lives - a time when God calls us apart to re-shape, re-form, re-group to get ready to fly again.

     I have gone through many such cocoons and each time I have emerged different - yet stronger. This cocoon, however, is by far the hardest of them all. It is dark here, it is lonely here, it is quiet here, it is confusing here. Everything I once was is changing and being re-shaped and re-formed. Yet I know that if I am to survive - and survive I will - I must undergo this process called grief that God has called me to.

     I will emerge - I will fly - I will be the same but different as well - I will be strong - because I have the Light - the Light that is Hope.

     Just as my sisters in sorrow have gone before me and flown towards the light I will arise and shine and fly towards the light as well. They lead the way for me and the others who will come behind me that are still waiting in the darkness. We will survive because we know the Light is there waiting for us, calling us and guiding us.

     Do you see in the picture that there are different sizes of butterflies? - that is the artist's way of letting us know that the smaller ones are not actually smaller in size but have flown a bit farther and have moved closer to the light - the Light of grace, of mercy, of healing of HOPE.

     At times I want to rush through this cocoon and be free of it - then God speaks to me gently and says "Be patient little one. I have a plan". So I wait - knowing that the Light will always be there waiting for me to arise and awake to new beginnings and His promises.

     The Light is there for you as well dear one - waiting until you are ready. Be at peace this night and know He loves you so.

    

    

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Linda. The steps of grief are worked, not in a straight line but by moving back and forth, sometimes jumping ahead, sometimes retreating, over all circular as we move through. Such a confusing time! It is good to cocoon at times to rest, to go deep inside for examination, to pray for understanding, to grow. I see now that I am cocooning for a period. These words you've written are taken into my heart to help me grow again to release. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful truths you've brought to light. The work of God is a wondrous thing and I thank you for letting it shine forth in your life, dear Sparrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful story about the life of butterflies! It does seem that people in grief should stay in God's cocoon of safety until it's time to flutter into our next phase of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful analogy here! So beautifully written! Please write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Linda! A beautiful analogy, so simply and beautifully written - just perfect for us widows who can't take a whole lot of words at a time right now! :-) I think God has much to say through you! May God bless your work!

    ReplyDelete